Congratulations on the birth of your child!
Congratulations on your decision to seek BAPTISM for this child!
Baptism is about BELONGING!
Through the power of the Holy Spirit poured into us at BAPTISM - we become the sons and daughters of God, the Father. We forever BELONG to God!
Through the grace of BAPTISM - we are brought into the Church, the same Church that Jesus Christ started over 2000 years ago. No matter where we go throughout the world, we BELONG to God’s universal family through the Catholic Church.
At Church of the Ascension, we want to help you discover for your child and yourself a place of BELONGING.
If you have any questions at any point in this process, please contact Kathy Ahearn at 757-495-1886 x411 or firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP ONE: Sign-up for a BELONGING Baptismal Preparation Session.
- The next session is Saturday, May 11, 2019 from 8:30 am to noon.
- Breakfast will be served
- Childcare is provided!
- Come meet other families who are seeking Baptism for their child.
- Parents and godparents are required to attend.
- Click here to register!
- Share the registration link with your Godparents.
If you are unable to attend this session, our next session will be held on Saturday, August 10, 2019. You will be able to register for the August session soon after the May session takes place.
STEP TWO: Select your Godparents
The first biggest decision is making the commitment to have your child baptized and to bring them up in our Catholic faith. The second biggest decision is to selecting a godparent. Their role, as godparent, is to help you guide, support and mentor your child as he/she grows in our Catholic faith.
Here are the established norms and expectations in choosing a godparent:
- There must be one godparent but you may have two; if two, one must be male and one must be female
- One godparent must be actively living their Catholic faith and meet the criteria as explained below:
- Is at least 16 years old.
- Has been Baptized and Confirmed and receives Holy Communion.
- Free from any impediments that prevent them from actively participating in the sacraments. The most common example of an impediment is if he/she is married outside the Catholic Church (in another faith or civilly). If married, they must have been married in the Catholic Church.
- They must attend a Baptismal preparation session. If they are not local, they can attend one at their parish and then supply us with a letter stating they attended the class. They may attend a Parents’ Baptism Preparation Session if their parish does not offer one for Godparents.
- They will need to fill out and sign a Sponsor/Godparent form and return it to us. Click here for Baptism Sponsor Form.
- The second godparent:
- Can be another Catholic in good standing who meets the criteria above OR
- A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic church. They would be a Christian witness.
- But they cannot be a Catholic who no longer practices in the Catholic faith even if they are practicing their Christian faith elsewhere.
STEP THREE: Fill out and return all paperwork.
These forms will be available at the Baptismal Preparation Class and must be turned in prior to your child’s Baptismal date. We ask that you return them NO LATER than two weeks prior to the Baptism to confirm your child’s scheduled Baptism date.
STEP FOUR: Schedule your child’s Baptism.
Generally speaking, Baptisms are scheduled at Masses generally on weekend of the third Sunday of the month. Baptisms are not scheduled during Advent and Lent. You may sign up for a Mass at the Belonging session or contact Kathy Ahearn prior to the session.
STEP FIVE: Registration at Church of the Ascension.
FOR BAPTISM AT CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION, registration as a member is optional and not required. However, part of having your child baptized is BELONGING to a parish where you child and your family can live out your faith.
FOR BAPTISM AT ANOTHER PARISH: Parents/Godparents, if the parish at which the child to be baptized requires a Letter of Good Standing from the pastor, it is necessary that you attend Baptism Preparation and be an active, registered member of Church of the Ascension.
To register as a parishioner at Church of the Ascension, you can pick up a form at the registration desk, at the Parish Office or register online at http://www.ascensionvb.org/new-parishioners .
All are welcome!