Living Our Mission Campaign
Living our Mission Update, May 2018
- The original plan for the restrooms was to make them more "accessible"; however with further research it has been determined to make the ADA compliant which will require additional work. Five restrooms will be renovated: two in the ACC, two down stairs in the commons and the women's restroom upstairs. There are no restrooms currently accessible on the second floor. The Women's restroom will be converted to a unisex handicap accessible restroom. This project will begin in the summer of 2018.
- The parking lot was resurfaced in the fall of 2017.
- The lift, although it looks the same has been rebuilt on the inside. The doors to enter are now operable via push button, allowing someone in a wheelchair to enter and exit unassisted. This was completed January 2017.
Our first project, the Social Ministry build out in the ACC was dedicated in October 2016. It is a very, very, active center for serving those in need. Our Food Pantry is always busy. The new space has allowed us to expand offering thru the USDA programs, providing additional foods for our pantry at no cost to the parish. The area consists of 3 offices, once storage area, a wonderful food pantry and a welcoming waiting room.
Father Daniel's Message: 2016
Our Mission Statement reminds us always of our faith commitments: “Proclaim the Word of God, Celebrate the Eucharist and Serve the Local Community.” Our parish family has a proud and rich history. Ascension has always been a welcoming and generous parish. People have always felt at home here!
As a Parish Family, we join the Psalmist to ponder in our hearts, what return we can make to the Lord (Psalm 116:12). The Living Our Mission Campaign is now here in our home,Church of the Ascension, and we are all called to cherish and embrace it. This is the time for us to strengthen and deepen our faith commitments, and enhance our relationship with the Universal Church. What a wonderful privilege this campaign offers us, allowing us to share what we have for the well-being of the Church. People don’t need to ask for proof of what we are doing, it is easily seen by the way we promote social justice, help to alleviate suffering, serve others and foster hope!
In our life, everything happens for a reason, for our spiritual good, and if we can see itthrough the eyes of faith we can truly be transformed. It is not how much we give, but how much love we put into giving. Please, let us remember that we are not alone, God is with us! Together we can accomplish anything. Sharing with one another always increases joy and diminishes sorrow. May God bless you and the work of your hands!
- Father Daniel Malingumu
Click on the links below for more information:
- Ascension's Projects to be funded by the Living Our Mission Campaign
- Link to information about Living our Mission Campaign on Richmond Diocese Website