Encounter God in the Mass
"Every celebration of the Eucharist is a ray of that sun without a sunset, which is Jesus Risen. To take part in the Mass, in particular on Sunday, means to enter into the victory of the Risen One, to be illumined by His light, warmed by His warmth. Through the Eucharistic Celebration, the Holy Spirit makes us participants in the divine life, which is able to transfigure our whole mortal existence.” Pope Francis
Ways to encounter God through the Mass
Community Growth by participating in the Mass:
- Attend Mass as a family
- Attend Mass with friends
- Discuss something you heard at Mass with family/friends
- Attend Mass and introduce yourself to someone you currently do not know.
- Attend Mass at a different time to get to know other members of our Ascension Family
Individual Growth by participating in the Mass:
- Find a weekday Mass and attend
- While attending Mass, focus on one aspect of the Mass
- Prepare for Mass by reading the readings before you go.
- Reflect on a phrase or song that spoke to you during the Mass
- Find a Missal and read through the prayers offered at each liturgy
Resources and practical suggestions for Encountering God through the Mass
- As a family, discuss how your family meal and the Mass are related.
- Sign Out “A Biblical Walk Through the Mass” and share it as a small group. (See the Religious Education Office)
- Check out these on-line resources for the Mass:
- Download https://catholicapps.com/laudate/ to your phone and listen to the readings for the Mass in preparation.
- Pick up one of these books that explains the Mass in more detail
- The Essential Guide to Catholic Prayer and the Mass by Mary DeTurris Poust
- Behold the Mystery: A Deeper Understanding of the Catholic Mass by Mark Hart
- A Biblical Walk through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do in Mass: Edward Sri
- Understanding the Mass: 100 Questions - 100 Answers by Mike Aquilina
- Bored Again Catholic: How the Mass Could Save Your Life: by Timothy P. O’Malley
- Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist: Unlocking the Secrets of the Last Supper by Brant Pitre
- Make a New Year’s resolution to attend a Daily Mass once a week.