Encountering God's Presence
“ I invite all Christians, everywhere, at this very moment, to a renewed personal encounter with Jesus Christ, or at least an openness to letting him encounter them; I ask all of you to do this unfailingly each day.” Pope Francis: EVANGELII GAUDIUM
February's Focus: Encountering God's Presence through Service
The fruit of Silence is prayer.
The fruit of Prayer is faith.
The fruit of Faith is love.
The fruit of Love is service.
The fruit of Service is peace.
- Mother Teresa
“Whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.” (Matthew 25: 40)
Ways to encounter God through Service
Corporal Works of Mercy: The Corporal Works of Mercy are these kind acts by which we help our neighbors with their material and physical needs.
- Feed the hungry
- Give drink to the thirsty
- Shelter the homeless
- Clothe the naked
- Visit the sick and imprisoned
- Bury the dead
- Give alms to the poor
Spiritual Works of Mercy: The Spiritual Works of Mercy are acts of compassion, as listed below, by which we help our neighbors with their emotional and spiritual needs.
- Share knowledge with others
- Counsel the doubtful
- Give correction to those who need it
- Comfort the suffering
- Forgive those who hurt you
- Bear wrongs patiently
- Pray for the living and the dead
Resources and practical suggestions for Encountering God through Service
- Reflect on the above list – incorporate one or more into your Lenten practices (Lent begins February 14.)
- Sign up to help with the Winter Shelter: February 7, 2018- February 14, 2018
- Send cards to the sick of our parish whose names are in the bulletin
- Bring in a food item and/or children’s books for the food pantry
- Clean out a closet and donate the clothes
Reflection after Volunteering in a Ministry or Performing an Act of Mercy
- What motivated me to volunteer or perform this act of mercy?
- What did I hope to accomplish in doing so?
- What did I observe and/or what struck me as I engaged in this ministry or act of mercy? What surprised me most about my experiences?
- Where or how did I encounter God’s presence?