Encountering God's Presence through Creation
“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said…” (Genesis 1:1-2)
“He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.” (Ecclesiastes 3:11)
“God gave humanity all of Creation to preserve it and to care for it: this is the gift.” Pope Francis
Ways to Encounter God through Creation
Discover opportunities to seek God in creation through regular activities, by listening, observing and being more aware of your surroundings when you…
- Take morning walk or working in the garden
- Care for your family and others in need
- Observe how children explore their world
We often encounter God through nature. Visit one of the many parks or natural areas in our community and....
- Sit, listen, observe and take in the environment. Breathe deeply and rest in the peace.
- On a nature walk have the children collect things in a paper bag that remind them of God’s creation and attention to detail. Talk about it.
- Sit in the sand on the shore or take time to gaze and the stars. How are these gifts?
Encounter God in creation through scripture…
- Read the Genesis account of creation and the Garden of Eden. Think about the how God’s gift of creation relates to your life.
- Reflect on how creation plays a role in God’s relationship with man.
- Explore how the power and beauty of creation is used to reveal the divinity of Jesus.
Practical suggestions and resources for Encountering God through Creation
The earth is entrusted to us to protect and preserve it. Take some time to reflect on God’s creation and how you contribute to nurturing and preserving this great gift (i.e., recycling, volunteering in neighborhood clean ups or preservation efforts). What else can you do?
We are all part of God’s Creation. Reflect on how serving others through the corporal acts of mercy helps us Encounter God’s presence. Think about how service to others during times of natural disasters is a way to encounter God.
- Reflect on the Church’s teachings about creation and our responsibility as Catholics. The US Conference of Catholic Bishops below has multiple links, including a video:
- Read Pope Francis encyclical Laudato Si –On Care for Our Common Home
- Tips based on Laudato Si from Our Sunday Visitor
- A meditation from Pope Francis
- Google Encountering God in Creation…you will be surprised. A few samples: