Responding to God's Invitation to Hear His Hopes and Dreams
I love you and I am inviting you to hear my dreams and hopes for you, love God
For I know well the plans I have in mind for you—says the LORD—plans for your welfare and not for woe, so as to give you a future of hope. (Jeremiah 29: 11)
Heavenly Father, before I was born, You knew the plans You had for me, plans for my welfare and to give me a future of hope. I grow in my relationship with you through prayer, the Sacraments, and living my life in daily service to you.
Reveal to me the hopes and dreams you have for me, so that I might live the life you have envisioned for me. Help me to remain obedient to your will. Do not let your vision for me become clouded by the ways of this world and do not allow me to settle for anything less than you.
Strengthen me on my journey. Keep me mindful that all things are possible with you. Let me be your hands and feet. Empower me as I live the hopes and dreams you have for me. May they connect with the hopes and dreams you have for all your children.
We proclaim that in this place, in this parish, Jesus is alive, welcoming the lost and leading us all to lives of merciful compassion; we ask this through Christ, our LORD, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit as one God, forever and ever. Amen.
Questions for Reflection:
Were you ever surprised by some turn of event in your life that led you to something unexpected but wonderful? In reflecting back where did you see God in that moment?
Spend time in prayer asking God what His dream is for me?
How can I put God’s dream for me into action?
Thoughts for Reflection:
What eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, and what has not entered that human heart, what God has prepared for those who love him.
(1 Corinthians 2:9)
Find your delight in the Lord who will give you your heart’s desire. Commit your way to the Lord, trust in him and he will act. (Psalm 37:4 -5)
He [God] chose us in him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and without blemish before him. In love he destined us for adoption to himself through Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 1: 1-5)
“The desire for God is written in the human heart, because man is created by God and for God; and God never ceases to draw man to himself. Only in God will he find the truth and happiness he never stops searching for…” (CCC 27).
What does God DREAM and HOPE for me? They include that I will…
- Get to know God in a personal way while I am here on earth
- Come to understand how crazy in love God is with me
- Accept that God desires me- (flaws and all)
- Allow Him to love me and fill the empty hole within me
- Learn to trust Him in all situations
- Seek His forgiveness when I sin
- Discover the unique gifts God has given me
- Use these gifts to serve Him by serving my neighbor
- Seek His presence in my neighbor
- Spend eternity with Him
If you have any doubt that God is madly in love with every human being then read Scripture. Scripture is God’s love story to us. Throughout history, man pulls away from God. God’s response is to always call man back into intimate relationship with Him. The ultimate example of this is when God becomes man and makes His dwelling among us. Jesus Christ reveals to us the deep love God has for each one of us.
But when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to ransom those under the law, so that we might receive adoption. As proof that you are children, God sent the spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” So you are no longer a slave but a child, and if a child then also an heir, through God. (Galatians 4: 4-7)
See what love the Father has bestowed on us that we may be called the children of God. Yet so we are. The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
Beloved, we are God’s children now; what we shall be has not yet been revealed. We do know that when it is revealed we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope based on him makes himself pure, as he is pure
(1 John 3: 1-3)
We are God’s children! That is part of His DREAM and HOPE for all of us.
Practical ways to discover God’s dreams and hopes for me:
- Reflect on Jeremiah 29:11 “Before I knew well the plans I have in mind for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare, not for woe! Plans to give you a future of full of hope.” How have you experienced this in your life? Ask God if your dreams are his will and spend time listening.
- Read “The Practice of the Presence of God” by Brother Lawrence
- As a family parents share with their children what their hopes and dreams are for them. Then share what they think God’s hopes and dreams are for them. Have their children write out their hopes and dreams for themselves over the next 5, 10, 15,….years and how God can help on that journey.
- Gather with friends over coffee or a meal and share how God has been present in your lives.