Congratulations on the birth of your child!
Congratulations on your decision to seek BAPTISM for this child!
Baptism is about BELONGING!
Through the power of the Holy Spirit poured into us at BAPTISM - we become the sons and daughters of God. We forever BELONG to God!
Through the grace of BAPTISM - we are brought into the Church, the same Church that Jesus Christ started over 2000 years ago. No matter where we go throughout the world, we BELONG to God’s universal family through the Catholic Church.
At Church of the Ascension, we want to help you discover for your family a place of BELONGING. Sign up for Belonging: Baptismal Preparation Course. This course is mandatory for parents and highly recommended for the Godparents/Sponsors.
If you have any questions at any point in this process, please contact Janet Jones at 757-495-1886 x423 or [email protected]
Sign-up for a BELONGING Baptismal Preparation Session.
- COVID-19 UPDATE: We are unable during this time to meet in person! Parents should access and complete the Belonging Online course. This can be done at your convenience. Complete the course and email your course completion certificate to: Janet Jones.
- If the $10 cost for online access is prohibitive - please contact Janet Jones.
- Parents are required to complete course.
- Godparents are strongly encouraged to attend.
Select your Godparents
The first biggest decision is making the commitment to have your child baptized and to bring them up in our Catholic faith. The second biggest decision is to selecting a godparent. Their role, as godparent, is to help you guide, support and mentor your child as he/she grows in our Catholic faith.
Here are the established norms and expectations in choosing a godparent:
- There must be one godparent but you may have two; if two, one must be male and one must be female
- One godparent must be actively living their Catholic faith and meet the criteria as explained below:
- Is at least 16 years old.
- Has been Baptized and Confirmed and receives Holy Communion.
- Free from any impediments that prevent them from actively participating in the sacraments. The most common example of an impediment is if he/she is married outside the Catholic Church (in another faith or civilly). If married, they must have been married in the Catholic Church.
- Attending a Baptismal preparation session like Belonging is not required, but it is highly encouraged.
- On the day of the Baptism they will fill out and sign a Sponsor/Godparent Attestation form. Click here for a sample of the form.
- The second godparent:
- Can be another Catholic in good standing who meets the criteria above OR
- A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic church. They would be a Christian witness.
- But they cannot be a Catholic who no longer practices in the Catholic faith even if they are practicing their Christian faith elsewhere.
Fill out and return all paperwork.
These forms will be available at the Baptismal Preparation Class and must be turned in prior to your child’s Baptismal date. We ask that you return them NO LATER than two weeks prior to the Baptism to confirm your child’s scheduled Baptism date.
Godparent Attestation Form: Catholic godparent's will be asked to attest to the fact that they are Catholic's in good standing. See the above qualifications. The form will be provided on the day of Baptism. The form must be filled out and signed in the presence of a parish delegate.
Schedule your child’s Baptism.
COVID-19 Update: At this time Baptisms are being celebrated privately. Typically, Father is available on Saturday's at 12:15 PM.
Janet Jones at 757-495-1886 x423 or [email protected]
Registration at Church of the Ascension.
FOR BAPTISM AT CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION, registration as a member is optional and not required. However, part of having your child baptized is BELONGING to a parish where you child and your family can live out your faith.
FOR BAPTISM AT ANOTHER PARISH: Parents/Godparents, if the parish at which the child to be baptized requires a Letter of Good Standing from the pastor, it is necessary that you attend Baptism Preparation and be an active, registered member of Church of the Ascension.
To register as a parishioner at Church of the Ascension, you can pick up a form at the registration desk, at the Parish Office, or visit our Welcome page to print a registration form and sign up for parish email.
All are welcome!