PK3-5th Grade Family Faith Formation
Registration is open for 2022-2023! Click here to register.
If you are new to our parish or to our Religious Formation programs and are interested in enrolling your child(ren) in our 3-year old - 5th grade Family Faith and have questions, please contact us: email Kim Kennedy / 495-1886 ext. 426
Family Faith Formation is an exciting opportunity to encounter God in your homes and grow your faith as a family. Parents and children gather monthly to pray, break open the Word of God, and then receive lessons appropriate for their age level. As a parent, you will gather with other parents and deepen your faith through teachings and discussions. The children are dismissed to hear their lesson in an age-appropriate way. Our formation program serves children as young as age 3. Children who are younger are most welcome to stay with their parents. We hope to provide an opportunity for families to get to know each other while growing in their faith as a parent, as a family, and as an individual.
What is Family Faith Formation?
- Families gather at Ascension once per month for a lesson and to receive materials for the upcoming month (8 gatherings per year)
- You select the best time for your family to attend:
- Sundays: 9:25 am- 10:20 am
- Wednesdays: 4:45 pm - 5:45 pm NOTE: new time
- Between family meetings:
- parents oversee that their child(ren) complete the additional lessons with all materials provided
- children can attend classroom instruction on Wednesday afternoons (approximately 3 per month) when there is no Family Faith meeting. This does not replace Family Faith, but is in addition to it.
- We also offer materials for 3- and 4-year olds!
What is the benefit of Family Faith- parents joining in with their children?
Here are a few of the benefits…
- Faith is lived out in your home as a family. How you love each other, celebrate each other, forgive each other, support each other speaks volumes of who God is. We want to partner with you to help your faith come even more alive in your family.
- At your child’s Baptism, you made the promise to grow your child’s faith. We, as a Church, have not done enough to support you in this effort. We have wrongly given you the impression that faith is something you learn in a classroom. While knowledge of faith strengthens us, our faith is, above all, an encounter with Jesus Christ. Our Family Faith Formation sessions are designed to help you as a family encounter Jesus together.
- Just as you build community with other parents at your child’s school, extra-curricular activities, or in your neighborhood, it is imperative for parents to gather and build community amongst others who share your belief. We grow in our own faith by being in community!
Other Advantages of Family Faith Formation
- More freedom within your family's schedule.
- There is only one gathering per month rather than a weekly class
- Monthly lessons can be scheduled when it works best for your family
- Opportunities to gather with other adults and share faith at the monthly gatherings
- Family bonding opportunities through the recommended activities for the month
- Sharing faith within your family at your home is more impactful for your child(ren) than attending a weekly class
What will we do during the monthly Family gathering?
- We will gather as a group in the ACC
- Children will be dismissed for age-appropriate activities
- Adults are provided an opportunity to grow in their faith
- We will distribute the lessons, lesson plans, and materials to use for the upcoming month
How do I teach my child at home?
- We are committed to helping you succeed in bringing faith formation into your home
- The curriculums we selected have easy to follow lesson plans
- 3-year olds - K: Allelu!
- 1st - 5th grades: Discover!
- Discover has an optional online lesson
- Each month we will provide the lessons, lesson plans, activity suggestions, and material for crafts
- Minimal time needed for core material is 20 minutes; recommended additional learning and activities will take longer
- Links to Home Guides: