Part-Time Minister of Social Justice (25 hours per week including some evening and weekend meetings)
This is a part time working in Ascension’s Social Outreach and Advocacy Department. This position does include limited benefits such as sick and vacation days and matching 403b benefits.
A large part of this position is serving the local community with our outreach programs including client assistance and leadership within various ministries. Normal work days will be Monday Thru Friday 9am to 2pm. Flexibility in work hours is required for meetings and seasonal project which may require some evening and weekend hours.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Document and assess needs of the clients for food, clothing, shelter, utilities, medical and transportation. Complete necessary documentation/intake files. Direct available resources to fulfill as many needs as possible. (i.e. financial, used clothing, furniture, appliance, food, and services)
- With the Director of Social Justice (DSJ), develop and evaluate the pastoral plan for social justice ministry. Reflect on social issues and the church social teaching to develop an action plan/calendar for justice and peace.
- Serve as a resource and staff representative on various ministries within Social Justice.
- with the DSJ, aid in the recruitment, formation, training and organizing of volunteers. Empower the leaders of the various ministries that fall under the Social Justice umbrella
- Promote formation of the parish community in social justice teachings. Collaborate with the parish committees and staff to promote education and dialogue on justice and peace issues within the parish. Utilize the Action, Reflect, Transformation model.
- With the DSJ, promote formation of the parish community in social justice teachings. Collaborate with the parish committees including Faith Formation, Liturgy, Parish Community Life and staff to promote education and dialogue on justice and peace issues within the parish.
- Foster parish involvement with local, region, state, and national religious and community organization in direct service and social justice advocacy efforts. Dialogue with governmental agencies and private groups and work cooperatively with all who share a common concern for the poor.
- Represent the Church of the Ascension in support of the marginalized people in our society working with groups such as Social Services, VB Dept. of Housing, Samaritan House, Faith Works Coalition, Interfaith Alliance at the Beach, and Sowers of Justice.
- Maintain communication and work cooperatively with resources of the Diocese in the office of Social Ministries and with fellow MSJs.
- Continue Education and personal formation as related to justice and peace concerns.
Qualifications: It is preferred the applicant have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in theology or social sciences. The applicant must:
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent in theology or ministry with course work in social sciences. Some professional or volunteer experience in a social justice setting is required.
- Working knowledge of Church’s social teachings
- Leadership abilities in planning, administration, volunteer management, advocacy, community organizing and/or empowerment
- Interpersonal skills in communication, education and collaboration and group process
- Computer Literacy is required. Must be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must be catholic and demonstrate and an active commitment to the Social mission of the Church.
Send resumes to Lisa Liedl in the Business Office: [email protected]
Questions? Call Lisa: 757-495-1886 ext. 422